April 22, 2005
Screen Beans

Sinking Someone must still use Screen Beans because they have a functioning commercial website, but their career seems to me to have taken a big dive since the mid-1990s. When was the last time you saw someone use Screen Beans in a PowerPoint presentation? For me it has been ages.

When I first encountered Screen Beans, I thought they offered a nice solution to the problem of representing people in PowerPoint slides. I still think they are much more interesting than most clipart. They are nothing more than elaborate stick figures, but their simplicity was the key to their usefulness. Truth be told, I miss these guys.

So I would be interested in hearing from others ... are Screen Beans still popular in circles outside mine? If not, what happened? For me their decline seemed to correspond with their creators' efforts to make money. When they were free, Screen Beans were all over the place. Once we had to pay, well, perhaps we could get by without them. Or perhaps people just tired of them.

PowerPoint | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference Screen Beans:

» The Demise of Screen Beans from ProfessorBainbridge.com ...
"Gordon Smith observes that nobody uses Screen Beans anymore. He speculates that PowerPoint users eit ..." [more] (Tracked on April 22, 2005 @ 19:48)
» The Demise of Screen Beans from ProfessorBainbridge.com ...
"Gordon Smith observes that nobody uses Screen Beans® anymore. He speculates that PowerPoint users ei ..." [more] (Tracked on April 22, 2005 @ 19:50)

1. Posted by Dave! on April 22, 2005 @ 9:09 | Permalink

I've never seen one before, actually... and I sit through a *lot* of business PowerPoints...

2. Posted by Bethanie on June 11, 2005 @ 1:48 | Permalink

It is SHIT

3. Posted by Petra on July 13, 2005 @ 12:13 | Permalink

screen beans are fab! i'm a high school english teacher & i use them on worksheets so that the boys i teach are emazed on the odd occasion when one oesn't figure on a sheet somewhere! they're cool...long may they continue!

4. Posted by Veronica on September 17, 2005 @ 8:58 | Permalink

I love screen beans. I create reasons to use them in any presentation, my website, or on bulletin board projects. My sister and I spend alot of time laughing at this "full of character" cliparts. Screen beans going away? I hope not.

5. Posted by Jane on October 20, 2005 @ 20:01 | Permalink

Screen Beans are GREAT! They have personality! You have to have imagination and a sense of humor to appreciate them.

6. Posted by nicole on October 26, 2005 @ 20:23 | Permalink

I love screen beans. I first found out about them probably in 1999. I am still using them whenever I can. They just seem a little more life like and alot simpler than the other clipart I see. I am now creating a powerpoint presentation for high school students and I am using screen beans.

7. Posted by Daniel on November 1, 2005 @ 14:08 | Permalink

I just love the beans.. so simple and easy to use to illustrate.
They should be free or cheaper!! I miss them too..

8. Posted by Sophie on November 8, 2005 @ 11:01 | Permalink

I am a trainer and I use the beans each time I can in my documents. I think they are a fun way to introduce theory, or concepts. I wish they would be cheaper, even free. Hope they won't disappear ...

9. Posted by Ashley on November 10, 2005 @ 16:06 | Permalink

i didnt even know that screen beans cost money until looked it up on the internet. all i wanted to do was fin a simple person doing nothing for a project i have to do. i was really surprised when they didnt have anything like that--and i cant believe you have to pay money to get them! i personally thing that is a little too much just for some clipart-but thats just my opinion.

10. Posted by Dee on November 15, 2005 @ 0:33 | Permalink

Screen beans are brilliant but its a shame you cant ungroup them now they are not for free. People trying to earn a fast buck very often spoils a good thing.