May 12, 2006
Is Stephen Colbert a Liberal or a Conservative?

During breaks in the graduation ceremony today, I chatted with Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin about all sorts of things. It turns out that she's a fan of Stephen Colbert, too. She asked whether I thought he was, at heart, a liberal or conservative. (Apparently, this is a matter of dispute among members of Congress.) I told her that I assumed he was a liberal, but she said that the congressman who claims to know Colbert best is convinced that he is a conservative.

Hmm. Interesting.

Politics | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference Is Stephen Colbert a Liberal or a Conservative?:

1. Posted by Dave! on May 12, 2006 @ 23:29 | Permalink

Making fun of pompous windbags like Bill O'Reilly should be a bi-partisan effort. The people that Colbert makes fun of don't do anything to further conservative agendas anymore than they do to counter liberal ones.

2. Posted by michael on May 13, 2006 @ 1:28 | Permalink

Colbert and Stewart are probably center to center-left. I have seen them make fun of liberals before. One reason they satire conservatives more is that they hold all the reigns of power right now - executive, legislative, and judicial.

3. Posted by orlski on May 13, 2006 @ 4:46 | Permalink

He's a Democrat. He voted for Kerry. There's an interview floating around where he covers that.

4. Posted by Doug H. on May 13, 2006 @ 7:03 | Permalink

As I was watching clips of the White House correspondents dinner, I know I was confused about Colbert's political leanings.

5. Posted by John on May 13, 2006 @ 8:33 | Permalink

Voting for Kerry doesn't make you a Democrat, and being a Democrat doesn't make you a liberal.

Frankly, voting for Kerry over Bush meant you were not an idiot. Liberal/conservative are secondary distinctions when the choice is that bad.

And Colbert, regardless of his personal leanings, plays a deeply Republican character, who openly and joyously swallows and regurgitates everything that the modern Republicans expect to pass off to the public as fact.

6. Posted by Heather on May 13, 2006 @ 10:13 | Permalink

I've read more than once that Colbert often tells his guest waiting in the Green room, "You know I play an Idiot?".
And in the 60 Minutes interview on him a couple weeks ago, he told Morley Safer that he doesn't let his kids watch the show because, as he said, "with a very straight face I say things that I don't mean." and he doesnt feel his kids are old enough yet to understand that dad is only kidding.
So no, Stephen Colbert is not a conservative.

7. Posted by tomboy on May 13, 2006 @ 12:34 | Permalink

He is a religious Catholic who teaches Sunday school. But I'm pretty sure he's a fairly liberal guy.

8. Posted by Millionaire Richard quick on May 13, 2006 @ 12:57 | Permalink

Liberal or conservative is irrelevant... He's an alleged comedian. The only important thing is that he's not funny. A national poll conducted by Quick Research Group determined conclusively that not only is Stephen Colbert unfunny, he is pathetically unfunny. Embarrassingly unfunny.

His address to the White House press core was not offensive because of his politics, but because of his wasting the time with a video presentation that ranks of there with the worst SNL flop in their most unfunny year.

See the poll results at: http://richardquick.blogspot.com

9. Posted by Doc on May 13, 2006 @ 16:25 | Permalink

Lol, he was hilarious.

Humor is subjective. Just check out www.thankyoustephencolbert.org to see all the people who thought he was funny and shared their gratitude for what he did.

10. Posted by Heather on May 13, 2006 @ 20:03 | Permalink

To Tomboy- where did you hear/read that Colbert taught Sunday school?? I'm a pretty big fan of his and I know that he is more or less a devout cathlic, but I have never heard anything about him teaching Sunday School. If thats true I find that very enduring