February 15, 2007
BYU

Byulaw

Earlier today, Dean Kevin Worthen of the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University called to offer me a position on the faculty, and I accepted. This is a bittersweet development for me and my family. I am a native Wisconsinite, and I have enjoyed my homecoming very much. The University of Wisconsin is the most wonderful place I have ever worked, and my family has thrived here. Nevertheless, BYU offers many exciting professional opportunities. And we are looking forward to living among mountains again. It's like this all the time ...

Utah_fishing

Law Schools/Lawyering | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference BYU:

» Gordon Smith Leaving Wisconsin for BYU from ProfessorBainbridge.com ® ...
"Prominent corporate law scholar and blogger Gordon Smith announces: Earlier today, Dean Kevin Worthe ..." [more] (Tracked on February 19, 2007 @ 15:44)

1. Posted by UW Law Alum '06 on February 16, 2007 @ 0:20 | Permalink

Congratulations Gordon. Your energy toward teaching and dedication to business law will be missed in the graduate programs at UW-Madison. Best wishes. Inquiring minds want to know: Did we get a first round draft pick, or just some pitching prospects and a left-fielder past his prime and embroiled in the steroids controversy?

2. Posted by David Zaring on February 16, 2007 @ 0:51 | Permalink

Wow, Gordon - congratulations. You're moving to as beautiful a state as there is. But you're taking a terrible hit in college sports excellence. I can only assume that the other compensations more than make up for it.

3. Posted by Josh Wright on February 16, 2007 @ 5:49 | Permalink

Congratulations Gordon!

4. Posted by Bill Sjostrom on February 16, 2007 @ 6:46 | Permalink

Congrats Gordon.

5. Posted by Christine on February 16, 2007 @ 6:53 | Permalink

We know that you like Culver's better than Kopps, but remember that Kopps will mail custard in dry ice. If you ever get homesick for custard. . . . Congratulations, again!

6. Posted by William Henderson on February 16, 2007 @ 7:12 | Permalink

Gordon, Congratulations to you and your family. You have been a great example to a lot of young faculty (on several dimensions). I am glad to see desirable opportunities come your way. Bill H.

7. Posted by Francis Pileggi on February 16, 2007 @ 7:15 | Permalink

Congratulations and best wishes!

8. Posted by Doug H. on February 16, 2007 @ 8:24 | Permalink

Congratulations, Gordon. I second David Zaring's thoughts on the hit you'll take in college sports excellence. Having said that it seems to me that BYU and WI's sports teams both reached their zenith while you were at each respective school. Perhaps a BYU sports renaissance is forthcoming?

9. Posted by anonymous on February 16, 2007 @ 8:59 | Permalink

Happy Trails, Short Timer! (With blessings come ribbings, you know.) May your roots be stronger at BYU, and may you and your family find what it is you're looking for there.

10. Posted by Justin on February 16, 2007 @ 9:37 | Permalink

Congratulations Gordon! You'll be missed at Wisconsin, but I have no doubt you'll be well anticipated in Utah.