February 26, 2008
Has SSRN Been Hacked?
Posted by David Zaring

My colleague Andrea Matwyshyn noticed that a couple of her papers up on SSRN had been retagged as published during the EFMA 2003 Helsinki Meetings.  So has one of mine.  So has one of Gordon's.  So, as of this writing, has one of Bernard Black's.  Neither Andrea nor I were at the EFMA 2003 Helsinki meetings, so we can't say whether we would have seen Bernie or Gordon there, but we are beginning to think something fishy is going on.

Emails sent to SSRN.  No explanation yet about our surprising yen for the Helsinki of 2003.

UPDATE:  Here's a response from Gregg Gordon of SSRN:

SSRN has not been hacked. We are posting corrections to our new Simple Submission Beta system and have an error in our Oracle PIP table. I am very sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we correct the problem. If you have any questions please email me directly. There is no problem with any data, we just posted one fix, and I promise that we will not sleep until the error is corrected. Gregg Gordon

Gregg_Gordon@SSRN.Com

SSRN | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference Has SSRN Been Hacked?:

ยป SSRN Hacked? from Unincorporated Business Law Prof Blog ...
"posted by Gary Rosin Over at The Conglomerate blog, David Zaring asks Has SSRN Been Hacked? SSRN aut ..." [more] (Tracked on February 26, 2008 @ 18:08)

1. Posted by Gordon Smith on February 26, 2008 @ 17:28 | Permalink

David, Nice catch. It didn't happen to just one of my papers, but a whole slew of them. See the list here. According to that list, I presented 11 papers in Helsinki. Time to update my CV.

2. Posted by Steve ("Professor") Bainbridge on February 26, 2008 @ 17:31 | Permalink

Most of my papers have been hijacked by the same hacker.

3. Posted by Lawrence Cunningham on February 26, 2008 @ 18:56 | Permalink

Ditto with mine and many, many others.

4. Posted by Steve Bainbridge on February 26, 2008 @ 19:37 | Permalink

I heard from SSRN that it's likely a bug not a hacker.

5. Posted by David Zaring on February 26, 2008 @ 19:45 | Permalink

Yeah - very possible. If it's a hack, its certainly one by someone with boring, Finnish tastes.

6. Posted by Elizabeth Nowicki on February 26, 2008 @ 21:08 | Permalink

This strikes me as wildly funny. Perhaps I need to get out more.

I don't want to check my listings on SSRN, b/c I'll be very disappointed if it turns out none of my work was good enough for the EFMA 2003 Helsinki Meetings.

Cracking me up....