May 02, 2005
Curves: A Lesson For Franchising

I was looking through the March issue of Business 2.0 (subscription) and found a short article about Curves franchises and Gary Heavin, founder and CEO. (Two questions: (1) Why is it that the founder and CEO of a for-women-only fitness chain is a man? (2) Does any CEO have a more appropriate name for his company than "heavin" for an exercise chain?) One of the perpetual problems faced by franchisees is that they almost always are required to agree to pay the franchisor a percentage of revenues as a royalty. Since increasing revenues do not always result in increased profits, this royalty system creates a conflict between the franchisor and the franchisee. Heavin thought he had a better idea:

When I sold my first franchise in 1995, I learned that fast-food franchisees paid 6 percent of revenues each month, but that didn't make sense to me: Why should franchisees that make the most money have to pay me more? Instead, I charged $20,000 to open a club and a flat monthly fee of $395. Most of my franchisees were profitable in 90 days and were shouting from the rooftops about their quick success.

As his franchise has become more popular, he has raised the initial franchise fee to $30,000, and franchisees now pay 5 percent of revenues, but that payment is capped at $795. At some point, new store openings will slow and Heavin may find himself wanting a bigger piece of the pie, but this is a brilliant strategy for encouraging early success.

Franchising | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference Curves: A Lesson For Franchising:

1. Posted by Curves Franchise on November 9, 2005 @ 18:24 | Permalink

I think the franchise fee for Curves is 24,500 + shipping. $395/month for 10 years
$195/month advertising fee. This was taken from a Curves franchisee package. I also heard that Curves charges a $5000 (!) franchise transfer fee if you sell the Curves to another owner. PS: Contours Express (#2) is also owned by a man!

2. Posted by Isabel on March 24, 2006 @ 17:22 | Permalink

This is a very interesting blog about curves franchises. I am the writer for franchisemba. My favorite franchise opportunity to write about isCurves Franchise. Check it out and tell me what you think!

3. Posted by Justin Bieber Shoes on December 4, 2011 @ 9:51 | Permalink

He is a good friend that speaks well of us behind our backs.

4. Posted by Jordan Pas Cher on March 15, 2012 @ 1:20 | Permalink

Eh bien, ce blog est une grande j'aime lire vos articles.

5. Posted by jordan 2012 on March 15, 2012 @ 2:12 | Permalink

I love your blog very much, more more info, I will concern it again!

6. Posted by Renault CAN Clip on February 16, 2013 @ 21:46 | Permalink

This is a good post. Thank you, you spend a lot of time to publish this information useful, I was looking for articles like you, I'm glad you can find your article. I must continue, but also look forward to your next article. Thank you very much!