May 08, 2005
My Happy Mother's Day
Posted by Christine Hurt

I was preparing yesterday to write a post on how Mother's Day, like most invented holidays, is usually fairly disappointing.  However, I had a wonderful Mother's Day.  The weather was 30 degrees warmer than yesterday, and my kids had somebody else's manners all day long.  We celebrated with a picnic in the backyard with Kopp's Frozen Custard take-out.  (Not to be confused with Kohl's Frozen Custard, thank goodness.)  Gordon has argued that Culver's custard is better than Kopp's, but we would have to disagree.  However, we feel that much, much more comparative taste-testing is warranted.

Miscellany | Bookmark

Links to weblogs that reference My Happy Mother's Day:

1. Posted by PaulNoonan on May 9, 2005 @ 11:56 | Permalink

I'd like to cast my vote for the always underrated Gilles (with Kopp's a close second, although they get props for their delicious and enormous cheeseburgers), with Leon's a respectable third. Culver's is fine for your spur of the moment cravings, and is superior to Oscar's, but the big three to me have always seemed vastly superior to everything else.

2. Posted by Christine on May 9, 2005 @ 12:35 | Permalink

I have heard that Leon's is the Arnold's Drive-In from Happy Days. I have not tried it though. We have the happy misfortune of living about 5 blocks from Kopp's, so haven't ventured down to Leon's. I'll look for Gilles, too.

3. Posted by Gordon Smith on May 9, 2005 @ 12:46 | Permalink

I always compare vanillas, and I have tried Kopp's vanilla twice now. Maybe their vanilla is just incompatable with my pallette, but I don't like it as much as Culver's. Obviously, I need to get out more, as I have never tasted Gilles or Leon's.

4. Posted by PaulNoonan on May 9, 2005 @ 14:38 | Permalink

The other good thing about Gilles is that Bud Selig frequents it, so if you have any complaints about the state of baseball you can make them in person.

I've heard that about Leon's too, and it does bear a striking resemblence to Arnold's.

In Madison, I actually think Michael's Frozen Custard is pretty good, but not as good as the Milwaukee custard stands, and about the same as Culvers (if not slightly inferior), but they have nice family/teenage hangout outdoor ambience though, and that counts for something on a hot summer day.

5. Posted by Mike Smith on August 7, 2005 @ 10:21 | Permalink

Michael's Frozen Custard in Madison is the very best frozen custard I've tasted, and I'm a custard fanatic! They wer written up in the NY Times for their outstanding products. Plus they are local, non franchise, and give alot back to the community. It's head and shoulders above Culvers!!!